Fucking Machines: Arse Elektronika in ‘The Gap’
An article in 'The Gap' deals with sex tech and Arse Elektronika. It's based on an interview with Johannes Grenzfurthner (German only).
Das österreichische Kollektiv Monochrom beschäftigt sich seit Jahren mit dem Zusammenspiel zwischen der Sexindustrie und der Tech-Welt. Bereits 2007 veranstalteten sie im Startup-Mekka San Francisco die erste Arse Elektronika, eine Konferenz für Sex & Tech, bei der jedes Jahr zahlreiche Speaker zu Wort kommen und neue Technologien vorgestellt werden. Während die Veranstaltung zunächst als einmaliges Event geplant war, wurde sie dank dem starken Zuspruch jährlich wiederholt und feiert nun ihr 10-jähriges Jubiläum. „Sex-Technologie ist ein sehr großer Bereich, der von Pornos auf Blu-ray bis zu einer technisch kontrollierbaren Fucking Machine reicht.“, erklärt Johannes Grenzfurthner, Initiator der Arse Elektronika. Unterschieden werden kann dabei zwischen Nischenprodukten, wie eigens angefertigten Fucking Machines, die nur ein kleines ausgewähltes Publikum ansprechen und dem Mainstream-Markt, der vor allem Pornos und Sex Toys konsumiert. Ein großes Thema in den letzten Jahren sei vor allem der Bereich der Teledildonik. Darunter fallen aus der Ferne steuerbare Sex Toys, die Remote-Control-Sex ermöglichen. Ebenfalls interessant seien reacting Sex Toys, wie beispielsweise Ambrosia Vibes, ein Dildo mit sogenanntem „Sucking Sensor“. Saugt jemand an dem Strap-On, gibt dieser Vibrationen an den Träger weiter.
posted at 2016-12-14 by monochrom
The big TEN! A decade of Arse Elektronika!
Arse Elektronika 2017 will take place in autumn 2017.
It will be our tenth festival -- and a good excuse for our plans of a reboot and restructuring!
We will keep you updated!
posted at 2016-03-28 by monochrom
Costumes! AE2015 opening night!
Arse Elektronika opening night on Friday October 2:
Costume style (voluntary dress code): "Work Uniforms Of The Sex Tech Future"
So gussy up!
posted at 2015-09-28 by monochrom
Arse Elektronika 2015: TICKETS!
And here we go... get your tickets!
posted at 2015-09-28 by monochrom
Arse Elektronika 2015: SHOOT YOUR WORKLOAD / Schedule is online
Finally, the schedule for Arse Elektronika 2015 is online!
posted at 2015-09-23 by monochrom
Arse Elektronika 2015: SHOOT YOUR WORKLOAD / Sex, work and tech / Call for submissions
Arse Elektronika San Francisco 2015
SHOOT YOUR WORKLOAD
SEX, WORK AND TECH.
October 2-4, 2015 in San Francisco, USA.
* How can we change work structures in the sex tech field. Is DIY really so revolutionary, or are we just tinkering around with our misery?
* Work and labor struggle and exploitation in sex tech. What to do about dildo sweatshops?
* What are the correlations of technology and sex work?
* Some research suggests that different sexual dynamics prevail in traditional breadwinner households. What sexual dynamics might proliferate in an economy of widespread automation and basic income, in a society where "having a job" becomes increasingly antiquated?
* What is emotional labor to a chatbot?
* What about the connection between 'work' and active/passive dichotomies in sex? What is the invisible work of bottoms and subs, and how might it be better recognized?
* What do you do with your sex when it stops working?
* How is silicone working out for the environment? We know silicone is inert, versatile, non-toxic, and body safe as an object but what is our collective exit strategy for the e-waste & non-biodegradable leftovers of sex toy boom? How are silicone lubricants (and other health & beauty uses) interacting with the water supply once they're washed down the drain?
* What work goes into the extraction of raw resources, such as the rubber tree plantations of South America that make our condoms and catsuits? How do you go from a rubber tree to a rubber dildo?
* How can we work out irreconcilable political differences to protect common interests for our sexual and reproductive health?
* How much sex does it take to power a light bulb? Can fucking charge a battery? Could we power electronics with our sex lives?
* What happens when your recreational sex life gets you fired? (Definitely blowing your work load!) How do you get back to work after a sexual scandal?
* How does activism focused around sexual orientation work with or against activism focused around gender identity? (e.g., In what ways has the fight for marriage equality worked for and/or against the fight for transgender rights?)
* How do we create toys that improve how sex works for folks with disabilities?
* How does your sexuality-related activism add to your emotional workload?
* What happens when your recreational sex life starts to feel like work?
* Is making sex toys a good thing in a world already full of plastic junk? Is there another way? Biodegradable sex toys?
* Can someone please do something about this FUCKING PATENT TROLL?!?!
* Is patenting sex toys a special kind of evil?
* Is any of this smart sex toy stuff leading to Rise of the Machines?
* Would Comrade Lenin approve of all of this?
Submit a talk, a performance, a game, a workshop, a machine, a system!
Deadline: August 31, 2015.
Our selection will be announced early September, 2015. (Yes, yes, we can do that fast!)
For questions, please email: office AT monochrom.at
posted at 2015-08-05 by monochrom
Arse Elektronika 2015: Dates!
Finally we have dates!
October 2-4, 2015 at the the Center for Sex and Culture in San Francisco!
posted at 2015-05-21 by monochrom
Arse Elektronika: Sex, Tech and the Future of Screw-It-Yourself @ CMU Pittsburgh
A little lecture performance by Johannes Grenzfurthner / monochrom, as part of Paolo Pedercini's class at CMU.
We may not forget that mankind is a sexual and tool-using species.
From the depiction of a vulva in a cave painting to the newest internet porno, technology and sexuality have always been closely linked. New technologies are quick to appeal to pornography consumers, and thus these customers represent a profitable market segment for the suppliers of new products and services.
Currently, all factors show that high-tech developments owe a great deal of their success to the need for further sexual stimulation. One could cite the example provided by the science-fiction concept of a full-body interface designed to produce sexual stimulation. But it isn't science fiction anymore. It's DIY.
As bio-hacking, sexually enhanced bodies, genetic utopias and plethora of gender have long been the focus of literature, science fiction and, increasingly, pornography, this year will see us explore the possibilities that fictional and authentic bodies have to offer.
Our world is already way more bizarre than our ancestors could have ever imagined. But it may not be bizarre enough. "Bizarre enough for what?" -- you might ask. Bizarre enough to subvert the heterosexist matrix that is underlying our world and that we should hack and overcome for some quite pressing reasons within the next century.
Don't you think, replicants?
February 24, 2015, 6:30 PM on CMU main campus in Pittsburgh/USA, College of Fine Arts building, 3rd floor, room 307.
posted at 2015-02-24 by monochrom
TimeOut Israel interviews Johannes Grenzfurthner about sex, tech and Arse Elektronika
posted at 2015-02-16 by monochrom
“Venus of Strapondorf”: monochrom’s Johannes Grenzfurthner and Jenny Marx team up to empower our all-time favorite paleolithic goddess
Venus of Willendorf — our all-time favorite paleolithic goddess —
is turning the fertility game on its lubed head. This is gonna be fun!
Hi-resolution reproduction of original drawing from 2015.
Created by Johannes Grenzfurthner (of monochrom) and Jenny Marx
Link to products (posters, mugs, shirts, pillows, whatever)
posted at 2015-01-10 by monochrom
Archive before May 2010